A fellow asked me yesterday why we were giving aid to Egypt.
I remembered some answers in historical sequence as I recall it:
The Yom Kippur War involved Soviet-backed arab nations and a massive US arms supply airlift – Nixon vs Brezhnev, Sadat vs Golda Meir. Therefore we supported Egypt to:
- Keep them out of the Soviet bloc and to
- Pay them to make no war against Israel
The Soviets collapsed twenty years ago. Therefore the arms were to:
- Still pay them not to war against Israel (arming to keep from warring?) and to
- Keep strongman Mubarak in control as he kept radicals like the Muslim Brotherhood contained
There are new bosses now in Egypt. There is still a chance Morsi and the Muslim Bros will go the strong-man route and use arms to suppress his populace… but they are not so sure to keep the peace. Therefore the main reason we supply arms now is so:
- Egypt keeps motivated (and is armed enough?) to guard our embassies.
Paying to avoid harassment. Protection money.